The Maritime Medal 1940-1945
The obverse of this dark bronze medal depicts a rampant lion. Two crossed anchors in the same metal are worn on the ribbon.
It was instituted by the Belgian government in exile in London on 17 July 1941. Originally it was awarded to seamen of the Belgian Navy, the Merchant Navy or the fishing fleet for valour shown whilst saving a ship or human life in actions against the enemy. Later this was extended to include those who served for minimum 2 years on allied ships (mostly in the Belgian Section of the Royal Navy) or who suffered repeated sinking of their ship by enemy action (a minimum of 2 such sinkings is required).
Maritime Medal (obverse, reverse)
© Hendrik Meersschaert, 2017